Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The distance between me and my real, reel and virtual friends

Thanks to this Facebook app called GeoFriend, I now know that:

My average friend distance is 3,473 km

I would have to travel 1,135,076 km to visit all my friends

That Ambassador Elmer “Boy T.” Cato, who is now serving at the United Nations mission in New York, is one of my farthest friends at 14,140 km

That my grade school and college buddy Albert Molina, who is in Texas state, is one of my farthest friends at 13,985 km

That my friends are in 5 different continents (Asia, North America, Europe, Oceania, Africa)

That I have friends who are based or are from 19 different countries (Philippines, United States, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, India, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Thailand, Singapore, Sweden, Hong Kong, Germany, Cambodia, Indonesia, South Africa, France, and The Netherlands)

That my US-based friends are scattered in 12 different states (MN, CA, GA, TX, NY, NJ, NV, AZ, SD, IL, MA, OR)

That my friends are in 124 different cities or towns (Manila, Apple Valley, Dubai, Sagada, London, Quezon, Goa, Glendale, Infanta, Mandaluyong, Atlanta, San Juan, Cebu, Carmona, Vladivostok, San Diego, Olongapo City, Makati, Malaybalay, Candelaria, Isabela, Quezon City, Houston, Iloilo, Cagayan De Oro City, Mexico, Diliman, Sydney, Pasig, Los Angeles, Wellington, Palawan, Olongapo, Newmarket, Bangkok, Valenzuela, Cainta, Bangalore, Singapore, Antipolo, New York, Hyderabad, Lawrenceville, Stockholm, Sharjah, Tagbilaran, Rizal, Cebu City, New Leyte, Cagayan De Oro, San Pedro, Abu Dhabi, Balagtas, Bacoor, Dinalupihan, San Leonardo, Anaheim, Bacolod, Hong Kong, Hamburg, Al Ain, Davao, Phnom Penh, Baguio City, Cubao, Jakarta, Lipa, North Shore, Daly City, New Manila, Las Vegas, Barrie, Muntinlupa, Toronto, Pasay City, Lakewood, Sioux Falls, Angeles City, Diliman District, Durban, Bulacan, Cagayan, Tubungan, Milton, Tarlac, Oakland, Teresa, Staines, Nasugbu, San Jose, Iloilo City, Bayambang, Pearland, Gumaca, Chicago, Muntinlupa City, Las Piñas, Riverside, Parañaque, Pagadian, Surigao, Caloocan, Balara, Lake Grace, Gerona, Springfield, Laguna, Paris, Tondo, Aurora, Temecula, Cranbury, Lancaster, San Jose Del Monte, San Pablo City, Worcester, Calamba, Utrecht, South Port District, Modesto, Solano, Hillsboro, Davao City, Somerset West)

That my friends live or are based in countries with 12 different governments (republic, Constitution-based federal republic, federation with delegated specified powers, constitutional monarchy, federal republic, federation, federal parliamentary democracy, parliamentary democracy, constitutional monarchy that is also a parliamentary democracy, parliamentary republic, limited democracy, multi-party democracy under a constitutional monarchy)

That I have a friend who is less than 2 km away (Although my nearest Facebook friend from where I am now – in the office – is just seated behind me)

That I have 270 friends in unknown locations (pa-mysterious effect)

That my ancestral hometown of Dauis in Bohol has a population of 2,553

That my beloved country, the Philippines, is a republic (though run like a family-owned corporation)

That because of the number and diversity of my friends, I have achieved GeoFriend level 12. (whatever)!

But this info made me smile . ..

That I have most friends in Manila (indicating that there is really where I belong).

Perhaps, it’s about time to sing the classic Hotdog ditty which to me is the pioneering OFW anthem……..

Maraming beses na kitang nilayasan
Iniwanan at iba'ang pinuntahan
Parang bababeng ang hirap talagang malimutan
Ikaw lamang ang aking laging binabalikan
(Quiapo Quiapo Quiapo, isa na lang ah, aalis na. Para!)

Manila
I keep coming back to Manila
Simply no place like Manila
Manila, I'm coming home

I walked the streets of San Francisco
I've tried the rides in Disneyland
Dated a million girls in Sydney (how i wish)
Somehow I feel like I don't belong

Hinahanap hanap kita Manila
Ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga
Mga jeepney mong nagliliparan
Mga babae mong naggagandahan

Take me back in your arms Manila
And promise me you'll never let go
Promise me you'll never let go

Manila, Manila
Miss you like hell, Manila
No place in the world like Manila
I'm coming home to stay

Wish ko lang!

No comments:

Post a Comment